Maj. Gen. Douglas A. Schiess is the Commander, Combined Force Space Component Command, U.S. Space Command; and Vice Commander, Space Operations Command, U.S. Space Force, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California. General Schiess leads more than 17,000 joint and combined personnel with a mission to plan, integrate, conduct and assess global space operations to deliver combat relevant space capabilities to combatant commanders, coalition partners, the joint force and the nation. The General plans and executes space operations through four distinct and geographically dispersed operations centers, including the Combined Space Operations Center at Vandenberg SFB, California; the Missile Warning Center at Cheyenne Mountain Space Force Station, Colorado; the Joint Overhead Persistent Infrared Planning Center at Buckley SFB, Colorado; and the Joint Navigation Warfare Center located at Kirtland AFB, New Mexico.
General Schiess entered the Air Force as a Distinguished Graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of California at Los Angeles in 1992 and transferred to the United States Space Force in 2022. He has commanded the 4th Space Operations Squadron at Schriever Air Force Base, Colo; the 45th Operations Group at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.; the 21st Space Wing at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo; and the 45th Space Wing at Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. He deployed to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, in support of operations Enduring Freedom, Resolute Support, and Inherent Resolve. His staff assignments include Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Headquarters Space Operations Command, the Air Staff and Office of the Secretary of the Air Force. Prior to his current assignment, General Schiess was the Deputy Commanding General, Operations, Headquarters Space Operations Command.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Physics, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Calif.
1996 Master of Science, Human Resources Management, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2004 Master of Science, Space Systems, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2007 Air War College (Correspondence)
2012 Master of Arts, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Director of Space Forces Course, Advanced Space Operations School, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2015 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2018 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2019 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2021 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
2022 Cybersecurity: The Intersection of Policy and Technology, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
2022 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2022 Combined/Joint Forces Land Component Commander Course, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. January 1993 – April 1993, Student, Undergraduate Missile Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. April 1993 – September 1995, ICBM Crew Commander, Deputy Flight Commander, Instructor and ICBM Deputy Crew Commander, 446th Missile Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. September 1995 – March 1997, Senior Evaluator and ICBM Crew Commander Evaluator, Standardization and Evaluation Division, 321st Missile Group, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
4. March 1997 – July 1998, Chief of Training, Launch Crew Commander and Launch Controller, 2nd Space Launch Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. July 1998 – June 2000, Air Force Intern Program with duties in Personnel Force Management Directorate, Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel and the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Programs), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. June 2000 – July 2001, Global Positioning System Crew Commander and Satellite Vehicle Operator, 2nd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
7. July 2001 – August 2002, Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
8. August 2002 – August 2003, Command Lead, Space Professional Development, Vice Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. August 2003 – June 2004, Intermediate Development Education Student, Air Force Institute of Technology,
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. June 2004 – July 2005, Chief, Military Satellite Communications Operations Branch, Space Operations Division, Directorate of Strategic Security, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2005 – July 2007, Chief, Space and Missile Programs, Weapon Systems Division, Legislative Liaison, Office of
the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2007 – June 2009, Operations Officer, 2d Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
13. June 2009 – June 2011, Commander, 4th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
14. July 2011 – July 2012, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2012 – April 2014, Commander, 45th Operations Group, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
16. April 2014 – April 2015, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, United States Central
Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
17. June 2015 – July 2017, Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. July 2017 – August 2018, Senior Military Assistant to the Under Secretary of the Air Force, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. August 2018 – December 2020, Commander, 45th Space Wing; and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick AFB, Fla.
20. December 2020 – August 2022, Deputy Commanding General Operations after Director, Space and Cyber Operations, Headquarters Space Operations Command, Peterson SFB, Colo.
21. August 2022–present, Commander, Combined Force Space Component, U.S. Space Command; and Vice Commander, Space Operations Command, U.S. Space Force, Vandenberg SFB, Calif.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2014 – April 2015, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, United States Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar, as a Colonel
2. August 2022–present, Commander, Combined Force Space Component, U.S. Space Command, Vandenberg SFB, Calif, as a Major General
Badges: Command Space Operations Badge and Basic Missile Operations Badge
Systems: Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, Delta II Launch Vehicle, Global Positioning System, Milstar Satellite Communications System and the Eastern Range.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
1992 Distinguished Graduate, Reserve Officer Training Corps
1993 Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Missile Training
1997 Outstanding Contributor, Squadron Officer School
2000 Distinguished Graduate, GPS Initial Qualification Training
2007 John J. Welch Air Force Award for Excellence in Acquisition Leadership
2009 Academic Achievement Award, Milstar Initial Qualification Training
2017 Air Force Space Command General and Mrs. Jerome F. O’Malley Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 27, 1992
First Lieutenant September 30, 1994
Captain September 30, 1996
Major April 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2007
Colonel June 1, 2012
Brigadier General August 3, 2018
Major General May 7, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)